Monday, December 20, 2010

Revisited Review: PC Laptops





So, I’m quite pleased to have a follow-up to my negative review of PC Laptops. I had gotten to a point where I was not only lacking any amount of confidence in them, but had also sworn them off, posted public reviews of my recent encounter and told buying friends not to deal with them.

First Note: I never posted my negative review to PC Laptops itself or to their employees. I posted to general review websites.

I received a phone call on Thursday last week from Nick Blumberg, the on-site manager of the location my laptop was serviced at. He left me a message basically telling me who he was, mentioning having heard of a bad experience and wanting to square that away with me. He was incredibly business-like in his message.

Unfortunately, I was swamped with being the only care provider to my son and I don’t like to have a loud kid in the background when I try to deal with folks. I personally think it rude, so calling him back was out of the question. He called me on Friday as well, once again when I was busy with my son.

He then e-mailed me a general e-mail, to which I apologized, explained my son situation and told him I’d try to get him a return call ASAP.

Here’s where Nick did great: Nick told me that Saturday and Sunday were his off days and he’d have events he was obligated to BUT that he could squeeze in a talk to me, off business hours, if that’s the only time I had available. He included his personal cell phone number, offered texting as a further option of contact, and his work hours for Monday. He even empathized with a small child, as he has one too.

Fabulous!

I think it is a rare treat to find someone who’s not only good in customer relations but is willing to go a whole extra mile to ensure the most convenience for their customer as well as their comfort.

Monday rolls around and I finally sit down to give Nick a call, my child thoroughly distracted with his Dad. What were my problems with PC Laptops? Lack of communication, data lost, and the general mess of obtaining and sending disclosure forms.

The first thing Nick did after politely greeting me was address the disclosure problem. He’s said that the company is making the forms accessible online to avoid out-of-state messes in the future. Relief.

He listened quite politely about the lack of communication and the wrong information given to me. His response to that: He’ll talk with his employees to ensure that isn’t a problem in the future and he would like me to get in touch with him (by his e-mail, work phone, or personal cell number!) to let him know when I’ll be getting serviced in the future so that he can make sure I’m taken care of and have the feedback I need, as well as deserve.

The kicker I didn’t expect: Nick asked me about the data I lost. I mentioned that I lost all of my programs – including ones that I had purchased (Side Note: He asked further about the purchased programs with the intention of replacing them), as well as my browser including the bookmarks I’d gathered over the past few years and my saved passwords.

He told me that he couldn’t help me with restoring my passwords but that he could hopefully help me restore my bookmarks, as they are generally saved as a link file on your computer.

Nick wasn’t familiar with this aspect of technical work on a computer with my browser (Firefox) but he was unafraid of asking for the basic details from his techs that were and we sat on the phone for over 35 minutes sorting out the bookmark situation with the end result that made me extra happy.  I didn’t get my passwords back, which I hadn’t expected. But Nick was able to add my old bookmarks and merge them with my new ones.

He took it one step further by personally backing up my old and new bookmarks in a location that I know and can save before future send-ins.

As if Nick hadn’t already done enough for me, he actually listed out everything we’d talked about to that point and asked if there was anything more he could do to make me happy with their company again. I was flabbergasted.

The only thing I could want from that point on is the ability to personally ensure someone I trust was watching my computer and making sure I wasn’t getting jerked around – he already offered that to me.

I will say this: Nick is a unique employee. He is a rarity. Nick is the kind of employee that goes above and beyond the standard to ensure the absolute trust and comfort of his customers. He didn’t have to contact me and he certainly didn’t have to go to such lengths to make one person feel better. But, he did. He was outstanding, courteous, polite, easy to talk to, and I truly believe he was deeply apologetic for my bad experience.

I can quite happily say that I’ll be getting in touch with his superiors, be that a business owner or corporation, to highly praise his work. He single-handedly rebuilt my confidence within their store, when he truly didn’t have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment