Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First Big Accident

My baby had his first big accident. It was a very scary event for all involved. At least that's what I'd like to pretend since I was easily the most panicked, short of the baby himself.

He has a night-time routine involving brushing his teeth. When he's finished with brushing, he grabs a large green cup kept in the bathroom and will fill it with the running water to spit like Mom and Dad do.

Well, we have a mounted mirror/vanity cabinet. Daddy was opening the far left panel as baby leaned down to fill his cup. Collision. Baby fell backwards jerking from getting a face hit and fell off the step stool.

I came to see what was taking so long to hear a crying baby. Well, he cries over just bumps and bruises so I figured that it'd be nothing too bad as I opened the door. I walk in to see Dad trying to hold his face and soothing him and baby whips around to look at me.

Blood. All over his cheek, dropping from his eye! I'm horrified. I can handle a little blood. Scraped knee? No biggie. Bring it on! But fat drops rolling down his face from what appears to be his EYE? Not so much.

Baby sees himself in mirror and screams louder, but will not let Dad touch his face or hold a tissue up to staunch the flow. I'm thinking about how much blood there is and whether he'll need stitches or an emergency room visit.

I end up getting my Dad (Poppa) because he's a pro at calming Baby. I lose it in Dad's room after a warning not to let Baby see me upset. I spend a good twenty minutes in Dad's room composing myself but freaking because he was hurt so bad and I was helpless to make it go away.

He had a smudge of blood left but wouldn't allow any more cleaning without breaking into hysterics. We ended up waiting until he fell asleep (two hours later than bedtime) to finally dab the welled up wound and add some neosporin.

The wound itself is very small in length but has enough width to potentially scar (albeit small) but doesn't need a stitch. Not to mention, we could get a stitch, but I don't want to hold a two year old down while they stitch right next to his eye. Not to mention stitch removal!

We had no butterfly bandages on hand so put a large band-aid on for the night. I didn't want to have to rip a band-aid off his face on the raised sore spot of skin. Today, we picked up butterfly band-aids and he's not good about putting them on but he's happy to help put on medicine (children's neosporin) and he's nervous about taking them off but learning they don't hurt like regular ones.

Here's the morbid from the night of after we'd semi cleaned him up. Little blood warning:


No comments:

Post a Comment