Saturday, April 24, 2010

Glass Plates

I found a fun project for decorating your own glass plates. The instructions I received said:

Buy a clear glass plate. Print out a design (or freehand) and trace onto the back of the plate with a permanent marker. Use acrylic paint to fill in the design. Apply as many coats as necessary. Get a satin based spray paint, masking tape where applicable and spray the back with a "background" color. Apply two coats. Apply clear finish coat. Voila! You have a pretty custom plate that is safe to eat off of or display.

I found some clear glass plates at Goodwill for .50 each. What a steal! They are these cute dessert plates. I got four of them. I had been wanting to do a Sparrow silhouette on one. I decided since I'm doing a class that covers the birds in Northern California, to include my favorite ones!

I have a plate of: The American Kestrel, American Crow, House Sparrow and Yellow-Billed Magpie. The bird silhouettes are painted in black. I found their pictures (live form) online and used paint to erase the background and fill in the black.

I found just taping the picture to the front and free-handing it on the back worked best. I removed the picture after the second coat and just fill in with my form now. No permanent marker is noticeable this way.

I bought a Robin's egg blue and white and will do both colors on alternating birds. Here's my babies in the middle of coat four. The light still shines though them so I'll put 2-3 coats more for a solid. Then I'll wipe them carefully for fingerprints before spray painting.

Please excuse the jaws. I set them to dry on my shark collection display box. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment