Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas is in the Mail

So, you remember that we bought Brandon a TV and stand for Christmas? Well, our DVD player decided to stop working the day before Thanksgiving. Nice.

So on the evening of Thanksgiving, we ordered a new player on Costco. It's a blu-ray player that has a lot of cool perks to it and it was $20 off. Shipping was under $5. To save us from having to go to the store and pick it up, the $5 was well spent.

Last night, it was my turn to purchase my Christmas present. Since I decided to give my little sister my Canon Rebel xs for Christmas (at her request), I upgraded to a Canon 60D. I bought just the body since I have the nifty fifty that I got as a birthday present and it's compatible.

Since I'll be giving my sister the stock lens that came with my Rebel and I'm not thinking the lens is worth $150 to buy separate, I decided to get a lens that is better than the Canon stock but also compatible with the camera. I picked the Tamron 18-270mm.

Then we decided to finally figure out what to give Cole for Christmas. We knew that we wanted developmentally friendly toys, as we're trying to push away from media influenced or electronic toys. Initially, we thought to buy him a postman outfit so he could deliver letters (encouraging writing).

But we settled on a vet kit and a vet outfit from Lakeshore Learning.

Finally, I wanted to get him some interesting new books. He loves books and cannot get enough about animals. I decided to go classic with some of my favorite childhood books. We got him these four by Ruth Heller.

How to Hide a Crocodile (& other reptiles)

How to Hide an Octopus (& other sea creatures)

How to Hide a Butterfly (& other insects)

How to Hide a Meadow Frog (& other amphibians)

The last book we got was related to American Indians. The history and culture of how they lived over various tribes. Cole is American Indian through Brandon and we've really wanted to start teaching about that diversity.

The Very First Americans

I'm undecided on if we'll be doing a stocking for Cole at our house. My mother always over-stuffs and is planning a stocking for the grandchildren already. I'm thinking we'll skip it this year.

For my side of the family, there was a drawing. I got my sister, Crystal. I had it on good authority that she has been coveting these shelves.

I bought her one of them (mostly because they have to be shipped and to buy two, I was looking at $18 in shipping alone!). I'm sure she's going to be thrilled.

On Brandon's side of the family, I drew his father. His father is into all things fishing and I'm going to keep my eyes out for something related that he doesn't have and would enjoy.

We have to get gifts for the kids under 18 on both sides of the family. We also visit my Aunt's house on my Dad's side and there are three children there.

For my 10 year old cousin, we got Mars Sand. It doesn't get wet and makes sculptures under water. Very cool!
For my 6 year old cousin, we got some Littlest Pet Shop Lambs (they raise sheep).
For my 17 year old cousin, we're going to gift him with cash. As a teen, there was nothing I loved more than getting cash to buy what I wanted.

For Brandon's side:
Niece #1: A disney princess outfit for the princesses she got for her birthday.
Niece #2: An ice dragon webkinz (she's a collector and let it spill on black friday dinner that she wants this one very badly to marry her boy webkinz dragon).
Nephew: A lego-style Transformer kit

My side:
Nephew: We heard he's very into spy things. I bought him a pen that has invisible ink for writing secret messages. He has a special light attached to the pen to read his message.

Finally: My Parents. They're getting family photos with all of their children done professionally. And with that, I conclude our Christmas shopping. One present to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment