Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Take cake two!

Since Cole's birthday fell the day before Thanksgiving this year, we had his birthday party 11 days early. We decided to get cake for his actual birthday.

Let me tell you, do not go to the bakery voted #1 in Sacramento the day before a major holiday. I've never gone to Freeport the day before Thanksgiving before but I'm convinced that a good lot of Sacramento doesn't bake and they want something tastier than store bought pies. Not that this Freeport Bakery fan blames them at all.

We initially intended to buy slices of the Seville Marnier cake that we got for his birthday (minus the cobra decorations of course) but that was foiled when I found out that they reduce their menu for the Fall holidays and introduce specialty flavors. I had a massive line behind me and felt bad for holding up people so I made the snap decision to get their Fudge Cake in the 7" round size (serves 10 people). The cake itself cost under around $25.

The attendant was fantastic. She was very patient and nice. She asked about decorations and took the time to scrounge up the types of sprinkles they had in purples and greens to show me.

We ended up with this.

I love it. It's beautiful!

I couldn't be happier with the snap purchase and the resulting appearance, even if I was disappointed that neither of my favorite flavors were stocked. I suppose that's what I get for waiting to walk-in and order the day before a holiday. They do make them custom even when they're not on the regular menu seasonally so had I known I could have ordered it ahead of time and picked it up.

As for flavor, the Fudge Cake ranked one of the lowest for me on the cake testing. I'm not a big chocolate lover and it's certainly for the choco-holic. It could be named Death by Chocolate. There is actual fudge in the cake! Chocolate cake, chocolate fudge, and chocolate frosting = chocolate overkill for this girl. But if I did love chocolate, this cake would be amazing in my opinion.

It's very rich though. It's the type of cake you want to cut small slices for because after a few bites it's overwhelming.

Even though I'm not a big flavor fan due to my touchy relationship with chocolate, I'd call this another win for Freeport Bakery.

See some of our custom cake experiences with them here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment