Sunday, December 2, 2012

King Cobra Birthday Party

 
We decided to cool our jets a little with this party as compared to the insane amount of work and time put into his Jungle Party. Cole requested a king cobra theme (which I found is largely searched for but not at all found in party themes on a retailer level). His favorite colors are green and purple so the colors were set in stone almost immediately.

For the invitations we found this template for a pop-up card. We printed these on 65 lb. cardstock that I happened to have from a school project.

The invitation wording is:

You're invited to Colenoa
A land full of slithering Cobras.
We'll meet at two hours past noon,
where you'll be privy to bountiful boon.
Fun, snack, and snakes await
do not tarry, and don't be late.
Come celebrate with serpent friends alive,
Cole Arias is turning five!

I made the rhyme up in a few minutes of fooling around. If you use it for inspiration, please give a kick-back link to my blog as a source. 

We printed them at fedex kinko's for under $12 and then cut them out and assembled them.

I bought some heinous 'thank you' cards from the clearance rack at Target to get well-fitted envelopes in green.


It worked out okay for pretty last minute assembly for mailing.

I bought some wooden wiggly snakes from Oriental Trading. The quality was better than I expected for the price.

In the thirty minutes before our entertainment arrived, I had put out paint and glitter pens for the children to make their own take-home snakes. Food was out as well for snacking for both the children and adults.
And then our entertainment arrived. We booked Nature's Critters, a small company owned by a woman named Lisa.

I'll be reviewing her in a separate post but suffice it to say, we asked for her "snake" package and she brought five snakes to meet us, a tortoise, and a bearded dragon.

Her show was a huge, huge hit. I would absolutely recommend a snake show for a snake themed birthday party.


We requested the Mexican Black Kingsnake specifically as they're a snake that eats other snakes, like the King Cobra.

Our cake was through Freeport Bakery (of course) and it was delightful. You can read a more complete review here.

I made the cake topper for the cake. A king cobra of course! You can read about that process here.

The favor bags were split into two categories to cover the age gaps. The youngest children were 4 and the oldest was 9.

School Aged:
Chocolate Rattlesnake
Watercolor Kit
Wooden Wiggly Snake (that child made at party)
Wiggle Snake Erasers

Preschool:
Chocolate Rattlesnake
Watercolor Kit
Wooden Wiggly Snake (that child made at party)
Finger Snake Puppets

I didn't go all out on a themed feast like last time. Our party food included various chips, crackers, a meat and cheese platter, rolls to make sandwiches, condiments, small wraps, and a vegetable platter. The drinks had lemon-lime soda (green), grape soda (purple), and water. We had thought to make lime and grape punch but nixed it.

I molded chocolate rattlesnakes using the bada bing melts from Chocoley.

I used a mold I purchased from this etsy shop

I bought a secondary mold from this shop. The snake is far too small to sufficiently mold though. No matter how gentle I was, I couldn't successfully get the tiny snake out in one piece. It was disappointing because they had the potential to be very cute.

A size comparison.

In closing, here's some photos of my baby with some reptilian friends.



To see more of our time with Nature's Critters, you can click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment