Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Goodwill Refinish -- Part One


I really hated this bare spot in our bathroom. I know that not every wall needs to be covered, but there was nothing remotely interesting going on in our bathroom. I wanted something that could be relocated anywhere in the house, so art was out. I also really didn't want to overwhelm the bathroom in art since it's such a small space.

I thought about finding a mirror. Since the mirror would have placement above the towel rack, I wanted to be sure that it wasn't the same length as the towel rack. Fortunately, we struck lucky and found a supremely cheap mirror at Goodwill ($3.48) and it's a couple inches longer than the towel rack. The frame is also real wood so it's hefty to hoist!

I didn't like the coloring and there was a sticker and vinyl car on it. Those had to go!

After a good shining with Windex, we were off to framing the mirror with Frog Tape.

We threw a coat of Primer on the mirror. It's interior primer/paint (Ultra White) by Behr in a sample size.

I then booked over to Home Depot to get a sample size of our chosen color. It's Martha Stewart's Sisal. They were out of Martha Stewart eggshell base, so they substituted Glidden's base eggshell. It's a very light sandy tan. I apologize for the color being off on screen.

I really love the color. Here's the mirror after our first coat. We're planning to add one more. The eggshell base has finishing agents in the paint so we won't need to worry about any sealant coats.

I can't wait to let this baby dry overnight and fix the wire so it can hang wide instead of high. There's holes on the wide sides so whoever had it before took it apart and changed the wire siding. We're taking it back!

I'll post pictures of the after in the next day or two when we get the final coat on and mount it. I'm in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment