Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Making a Halloween Costume -- or two

We knew that Collin would be riding in the baby carrier facing out as we trick or treated with Cole. I wanted to have a costume that Collin could be seen in despite the carrier and I thought I should include myself as part of the costume due to the fact that he'd be attached to me.

Ideas were thrown around. I could be a log, he could be an Ewok, a frog, a bird. I could be a flower, he could be a bumblebee. I could be Mary, he could be a lamb. We finally settled on my being a web, his being a black widow.

But how did we do that?

Here's our breakdown of outfit pieces:

Collin --
1 black long-sleeved onesie/t-shirt
1 pair of black pants
1 pair of black infant socks
1 black beanie

Me --
A long-sleeved black sweater I could throw out
Black pants

Additional --
A black T-shirt I didn't care about but would wear in the future if it turned out okay
2 pairs of knee-high black women's socks
Red Fabric

Brandon painted a cobweb onto the long-sleeved sweater we bought at a thrift store. I was actually really sad about this because the sweater was SO soft.
 
We painted in acrylic so I could try washing it out. We added a layer of glow-in-the-dark paint over the top.



It should be noted that we put a piece of cardboard inside of the shirt for bleed-through. When working with fabrics, in my experience there is often bleed-through.

I took the beanie and affixed eight google eyes to it with elmer's multi-purpose glue. Brandon told me that all spiders have eight eyes and the other eyes are false. Okay.

I cut up an old red onesie of Collin's, made an hourglass shape based on a photo of a Black Widow's belly with cardstock and glued the red onesie scrap around the cardstock. We turned a black T-shirt we bought at the thrift store inside out and pinned the hourglass down with safety pins.

I stuffed the women's socks with white trash bags (so that I could later use both). Unfortunately, this made them limp so we nixed them. If I could do this over, I would place cardboard or something in them to help them stand up. Collin was a four legged black widow at this point.

Overall, I think it came out okay for a costume that was thrown together in maybe a hour of work the night before Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment